Beginning in 2013, I experienced problems growing radishes. This year, I noticed that the
beets were under-performing. A little reading revealed that the cause was most likely root
maggots. The suggested solution was to cover the crop with fabric row cover. I came up
with the following solution:
First, I built 1′ x 4′ frames out of strapping with chicken wire domes covered with fabric
row cover. I planted beet seeds in two rows 8″ apart. I then planted a row of radishes between
the two rows of beets. Here is what that all looked like.
|Beet/Radish enclosures from a distance|
|Planting beets and radishes|
|The bed two weeks later|
As you can see from the last photo, this method works very well with no insecticides
needed. Please let me know what is going on in your garden.
All the best,